— Nicholls-Crook Plantation © Bill Fitzpatrick, 2013 —
(Do Not Use Without Written Consent)
- Location Woodruff, Spartanburg County
120 Plantation Drive (2)
- Origin of name Nicholls and Crook were both surnames of early owners.
- Other names ?
- Current status The home was recently operated as a bed and breakfast but is now simply a residence.
- 1756 Earliest known date of existence (3)
A royal grant was issued for the property
- Circa 1793 Virginia native Thomas Williamson obtained the property (2 and 4).
- 1793 House built (2 and 4)
Thomas Williamson built the Flemish bond brick house that still stands today.
- 1813 Thomas Williamson died and the plantation was sold to Jesse Crook. Crook's wife Katie was the daughter of Revolutionary War heroine Kate Barry (3).
- ? The plantation passed to the Crooks' daughter Katie and her husband George Nicholls (3).
- ? Katie and George's son John Moore Nicholls became owner (4).
- Late 1800s The plantation became vacant and the house was left to deteriorate (2).
- 1900s The plantation belonged to the Bryson family who continued to grow cotton on it (3).
- 1962 The property was subdivided and sold at auction. Much of the property was sold and developed into a golf course. However, the house was not purchased and remained abandoned (1, p. 5 and 2).
- Late 1960s Robert S. and Bedie P. Overman purchased the house and fully restored it (2).
- 1987 Jim and Suzanne Brown purchased the house and transformed it into a bed and breakfast (2).
- Number of slaves ?
- The original 1973 two-story brick house still stands. There had been wood-frame additions added to the house in the late 1800s but those no longer exist. The house suffered fire damage that was repaired. The house has also been remodeled (1, p. 2).
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1973
Photographs, architectural overview
- Maxine Pinson, Colonial America Mirrored At Nicholls-Crook Plantation House
- Nicholls-Crook Plantation, Sankifa's Slavery Data Collection
- Information contributed by Jim and Suzanne Brown
- Nicholls-Crook Plantation House
120 Plantation Drive
Woodruff, SC 29388