- Location Hagood, Sumter County
On Boykin Road (SC 261), 2.2 miles north of Bethesda Methodist Church
- Origin of name ?
- Other names Oakland
- Current status ?
- 1735 Earliest known date of existence (1)
William Sanders received a royal grant (1).
- ? House built
Sanders built a house and a tavern (1).
- 1816 William Sanders's son William Sanders IV either remodeled the house built by his father or constructed a new house (1).
- Prior to 1860 William Sanders V enlarged the house (1).
- 1865 The house was used as the headquarters of Confederate Maj. Gen. P.M.B. Young and was struck by an artillery shell during a skirmish on April 18. The next day, the plantation was the headquarters of Federal Brig. Gen. Edward E. Potter and used a field hospital (1).
- 1950s The property was renamed Dixie Hall (1).
- 1981 The Sanders family owned the property until this year (1).
- Chronological list William Sanders (1735-?); William Sanders IV (1816); William Sanders V (1860)
- Number of slaves ?
- The house standing today was either remodeled or built by William Sanders's son William Sanders IV around 1816 (1).
References & Resources
- Information contributed by Mike Stroud from the 2002 Sumter County Historical Commission Marker
- Carolina W. Todd and Sidney Wait, South Carolina: A Day at a Time (Orangeburg, SC: Sandlapper Publishing Company, 2008)