Tranquil Hill Plantation Ashley River Dorchester County
- Location East bank of Ashley River, Dorchester County
- Origin of name ?
- Other names White Hall
- Current status No longer exists; area being developed (3, 2013).
- 1683 Earliest known date of existence
- ? House built
- Number of acres 526
- Primary crop ?
- Tranquil Hill also had a grand garden described as a, "beautiful southern courtyard, with its graveled walks, enclosed with living box, and containing flowers of every hue and tropical fragrance . . . beds of flowers, embowered walks, cool retreats and alcove seats" (1, p. 26).
- Alphabetical list James L. Gantt, Malachi Glaze (1733), Colonel Charlesworth Glover (1683-1696), Dr. Hay (1773), Howe, Daniel Huger, Richard Waring (1773)
References & Resources
- A Context For the Study of Lowcountry Gardens - PDF - Michael Trinkley and Debi Hacker, 2007, for the Chicora Foundation.
- 30-15 Plantation File, held by the South Carolina Historical Society
- Information contributed by Joseph McCranie